Arrrgh! Is there anything that actually works!? If you’ve ever felt like this when looking through the seemingly endless diet pills, books, potions and plans out there, only to be left feeling lost and confused, you’re in the right place! Most diets suck and actually make it harder, not easier, to lose weight. They also make your life miserable, and that’s just not acceptable.
It’s not all bad news, though. There are a few gems out there, like the paleo diet, which is the ‘new kid on the block’ of the dieting world and a great choice for women looking to tone up and lose a few pounds. The crazy thing is, eating right for your body is easy. The message just gets lost in translation, often through marketing hype, which leads to thinking that you need ‘this‘ or you’ve got to have ‘that‘ to lose weight and get in shape.
In fact, all diets rely on the same principle – calorie manipulation. They just go about it in different ways. Some restrict certain food groups, while others do away with them completely. The problem with these ‘old-school’ diets (i.e. the grapefruit diet) isn’t that they can’t help you lose weight, they can. It’s the fact they’re not sustainable, or healthy in the long-run.
The key to effective, long-term healthy eating is about building habits that help you incorporate natural, ‘real’ foods which help you burn fat and keep you full while avoiding calorie-laden, processed ‘artificial’ foods. Not only will you regain your health, you’ll be happier, have more energy and feel what it’s like to eat right for your body. Advice at leanrunnerbean on effective dieting is based around a few core principles:
1. Make Healthy Eating a Habit: If you eat right most of the time, what you eat the rest of the time doesn’t matter nearly as much. This leaves you free to splurge (occasionally) and not have to worry about enjoying a night out. Instead of wasting your thoughts and self-control on calories, focus on building healthy habits that last.
2. Ditch the Crash Diet: You don’t need to starve yourself to lose weight. Not only does it deprive the body of nutrients, it cripples metabolic rate and actually makes fat loss more difficult. Focus on provisioning your body with nutrient-dense foods that support weight loss and overall health.
3. Eat Real Foods: Wherever possible look to cut processed foods from your diet and replace them with real, natural foods. Most pre-packaged ‘artificial’ foods are devoid of nutrients, high in sugar and loaded with preservatives that often do more harm than good.
4. We’re All Different: This is why most cookie-cutter diet plans fail. We all have different goals and starting points, which makes it doubly important important to taste, test and experiment until you find what works best for you.
5. Don’t Eat With Your Emotions: We all get down in the dumps occasionally, which is why it’s important to recognize that psychological triggers can cause us to overeat (and under-eat). Taking time out and practicing mindfulness when eating can protect us from cravings and mindless binging.
6. Track Your Progress: You don’t need to be a tech geek. A diary is all you need to keep track of what you’re eating and how your body responds. This gives you a starting point and a resource you can refer back to later. There’s also neat-o gadgets like Wi-Fi pedometers, mobile apps and other online tools.
7. Love Your Food: Look after your food and it’ll look after you. When you care about what you’re putting in your body and why, your food choices automatically improve and provide a greater sense of self-satisfaction.
8. Get Moving: This site is dedicated to healthy eating, but that doesn’t mean exercise isn’t an important part of a healthy lifestyle – it is. Aim to get moving for at least 30 minutes each day and avoid sitting for extended periods of time (computers, TV etc).
There’s no coincidence that when you look good, you feel good. Health and happiness are closely linked, and trying to achieve your weight loss goals without the other is always a struggle. Fortunately, getting healthy doesn’t need to be all about sacrifice and willpower. At Leanrunnerbean, you’ll learn to upgrade your lifestyle to make dieting fun, easy and effective.